Friday, June 24, 2016

USCGC Maple

This buoy tender is a blast from the past for me as I served on one many years ago. As the Colombia was approachimg Sitka, I was on the fantail taking in the views as we navigated the narrows. Up from behind and at low altitude, flew a Coast Guard helo! I decided to mess with them, and signalled to it with my Boatswain 'two fingers twisting in the air" for the helo crew to 'turn to' their work and quit playing around. They waved to me from the helo as they passed and then decided to mess with me. They turned the helo back around to come up the rear of the Colombia again, but this time they opened the side door of the helo with the rescue swimmer dressed in an orange survival suit looking like he was ready to jump out. It was awesome! There is definitely a 'brotherhood' having served in the Guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment